Friday, January 29, 2016

The Stamp Simply Ribbon Store - Butterflies for You Card with Distress Ink Tutorial

Hello blogging friends!  Today, is my day to post for The Stamp Simply Ribbon Store.  Using Tim Holtz Distress Inks, a stencil and a baby wipe I created a beautiful background for my card.  I have a a step-by-step tutorial to share with you so you can create the look too.


Before I share that card with you I wanted to share a before picture of the background paper. This is a piece of pattern paper from the KaiserCraft - Treasured Moments 6-1/2'' Paper Pad.  The butterflies are a black gloss--kind of like if they were embossed.  If you don't have any pattern paper like this you could certainly create your own by using black pigment ink and clear embossing powder to stamp and heat emboss the images.


Here is a look at the card I designed.  No more white paper!  For my card I chose a color palette based off of the monarch butterfly on the smaller image so I went with oranges and brown.  But you could do this same technique with any color combination you would like.



I added the three colors of  Tim Holtz Distress Inks - Spiced MarmaladeRipe Persimmon and Vintage Photo.  I used a cotton ball to apply the ink to the paper.


Here is a close up of the colorful paper.


Next I placed the Prima Elementals Bubble Stencil on top of the pattern paper and I used a baby wipe to blot the paper through the stencil and remove some of the ink.  I moved the stencil a couple of times continued to use the baby wipe to remove more ink.


Using the baby wipe to pick up some of the color and moving the stencil around will give the paper kind of a watercolor droplet look--the same look when you apply ink to paper, add water droplets and blot the paper.  This picture was taken when the paper was a little damp and I used the heat tool to dry it and then the watermark areas really popped and showed up even more on the paper.


The smaller image is also from the paper pad and I die cut a Spellbinders Labels Thirty-Four shape and layered the two pieces together adding Therm-O-Web Foam Squares in between the layers.  I also added some Petaloo Botanica Collection Faux Dried Floral Alephemere CranberrySay It In Crystals Combo Pack - A Victorian Christmas and  May Arts Black Silk Ribbon 1/4''.


Here you can see a close up of the paper once it was heat set.  The watermarks stand out even more and the colors are so vibrant.


I hope you enjoyed this tutorial and you will give it a try.  It's a fun way to totally change the look of your pattern paper.

Thank you so much for stopping by!

Please be sure to check out The Stamp Simply Ribbon Store for all of the fantastic paper crafting products and the Blog for inspiration from the Design Team.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Hugs & Smiles,
Heidi


Paper:  KaiserCraft - Treasured Moments 6-1/2'' Paper Pad, Cardstock - Orange, Black
Ink:  Tim Holtz Distress Inks - Spiced Marmalade, Ripe Persimmon, Vintage Photo, Black Soot
Dies:  Spellbinders Labels Thirty-Four
Ribbon:  May Arts Black Silk Ribbon 1/4''
Accessories:  Prima Elementals Bubble Stencil, Say It In Crystals Combo Pack - A Victorian Christmas, Petaloo Botanica Collection Faux Dried Floral Alephemere Cranberry, Therm-O-Web Foam Squares, Scor-Tape, Baby Wipes

7 comments:

  1. Wow...stunning card a great tutorial...I just have to try this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The results of the watermark on this butterfly sheet is stunning. The colors you picked are perfect. Just one really cool card creation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeous! I love the way the colors you chose both mimic some butterfly wings but also the burning beauty of a dawn sky. It's incredible the change the baby wipe and stencil make. It's just so mesmerizing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heidi, This is a beautiful card. Thanks for show me how to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for inspiring me again!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment!! I really appreciate it!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...